Lately, it seems that many real weddings feature pie buffets and frosted layer cakes. And I love the easy simplicity of that. But, there is just something about a stunner of a wedding cake. These lovelies by Charm City Cakes West are more than dessert; they are works of art.
It doesn’t take too more searching to find some ugly cake toppers out there. For serious, what are these people thinking? Some of them are bigger than the cake itself! So I thought you could all use some cute cake toppers to look at. From rustic to glittery glam, these will bring that extra bit of style to your wedding dessert!
Is it a little self-sabotaging to start off the weekend looking at cakes? Perhaps. But just like my newfound and shameful addiction to the teenage soap opera Pretty Little Liars, sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants.
Credits (from top left):
While I do love a good cake topper, I prefer a gorgeous cake stand. Why? I’m practical. Chances are I am not going to re-use the very adorable personalized wood figurines of me and my honey. But a pretty cake stand in pink or silver or blue? Absolutely! That thing is going to be showing off cupcakes and cinnamon rolls and macarons every chance I get! Sarah’s Stands has the loveliest cake stands. You should check them out. Also, go to their site for some serious wedding cake inspiration. Amazing!
I really love this very simple stained soft maple. Perfect for rustic weddings!
I go back and forth on which one is my favorite. Right now, it’s the blue.
Instead of traditional cake, consider giving each guest a cake with their name on it! These are refreshingly modern and easy to make!Cost: approximately 50 cents per cake
Your favorite chocolate cake recipe
Paper baking cups (find them here)
Paper florist ribbon
1. Bake the little cakes in the molds. Use extra batter so the cakes will puff up a little higher than the paper molds. Let the cakes cool down.
2. Measure strips of parchment and cut to wrap around the bottom of the cakes.
3. Add a ribbon and personalized tag.
4. Line up on a pretty table!
Any of the cake…
Don’t get me wrong, for a shabby chic wedding, I love me some wooden cake toppers. But what if you aren’t going for a rustic look? What if you want something equally interesting, but more modern? Enter Miss Cake, British cake topper creator extraordinaire (but no worries, she does ship to the U.S.)! She makes these super fun, bright acrylic cake toppers quoting some of our favorite songs and using some fantastic fonts in the process.
A Billy Idol cake topper? The answer is always yes.
I love this blue and orange color combo. It really pops against a simple white cake.
Perfect for an “Alice in Wonderland” touch.
The middle school girl in me loves the heart in the “love.” The grown up in me loves the mixture of fonts.
Wow. Honestly, can you think of a better way to start off talking about these brilliant bespoke cakes by U.K.-based cake designer, Peggy Porschen? Well, I cannot. I’m too busy perusing these spectacular creations and trying to keep my mouth closed. They’re just beautiful!
Founded in 2003, the company is headed by the award-winning cake designer and Creative Director and her husband Bryn Morrow, Managing Director. Together with her talented team of pastry chefs and sugar-craft artists, Peggy is passionate about creating edible works of art that taste as good as they look. And, that passion is clearly evidenced by the amazing and elegant examples shown here.
For years, I enjoyed watching Duff Goldman and his harrowing cake tales on “Ace of Cakes”. Now, this isn’t going to make me come across as the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I was so used to marvelling at Charm City Cakes ‘ creations made to look like buildings, airplanes, animals, etc. that I never even thought about them and wedding cakes. Duh! (See what I mean?) Not surprisingly Duff and his team make some spectacular looking wedding cakes. Talk about a feast for the eyes!
I’m especially fond of the cake above with it’s elegant but whimsical design as well as the chocolate folk art cake below. Which is your favorite?
(Oh, and don’t forget to check out Charm City Cakes West.)
- Maggie Austin Cakes
- Joe and Beth Tie the Knot in Cherry Creek, CO
- Cake Gallery: Halloween Inspired Nuptials
- Brian and Nikki’s Wedding at the Primrose Cottage in Roswell, GA
- Charm City Cakes
- Bobbette & Belle
- Display Your Wedding Cake!
- Cake Gallery: Whimsical Cakes
- Want a Free $25 Gift Card for an Adorable Cake Stand? Yes, Please!
- Color Board: Yummy Yellow
- Color Board: Navy Blue and Yellow
- Handmade Cake Toppers Customized to Look Like You and Your Fiancé
- Veda and Trinity Marry at the North Carolina State University Alumni Center
- Sarah and Ahmd’s Elegant Egyptian Wedding from Wedding Nouveau
- Alternatives to a Traditional Wedding Cake
- Vintage Wedding Cake Toppers that Will Take Your Breath Away
- Peggy Porschen
- Keith and Alicia’s Special Day
- Modern + Mini Chocolate Cakes from Chelsea at Frolic!
- Matt and Miriam in Port Jefferson, New York
- Edible Embellishments from Andie’s Specialty Sweets
- Color Board: Black as Night
- Inspiration Board: Beach Themed Wedding
- Chris and CC's Totally Glam Woodland Fairy Wedding from Feather Love
- Color Board: Champagne Anyone?