Weddings are becoming increasingly one-of-a-kind in a variety of ways, including wedding flowers and bouquets. Though the norm is still a cut flower bouquet, some brides are choosing alternatives and they also just so happen to be eco-friendly. A bouquet is meant to be unique. It’s that special accent that reflects what you find most beautiful. It’s symbolic, like everything else on your wedding day, but it’s also an opportunity to experiment. Here are some examples of how to make that unique statement in an eco-friendly way.
1. Feather Bouquets- Add a little drama and personality to your wedding with a sustainable feather bouquet. They come in a myriad of colors and styles, from the long elegant fronds of the peacock to the soft fluffy down of the goose. This delicate detail is sure to draw the right attention as you make your way down the aisle. Choose birds that naturally shed their feathers or make sure they are sustainably harvested.
2. Seashell Bouquets- Incorporating a little sand and sea into your wedding day is easy, even if you’re not getting married on an actual beach. Ideal for summer and nautical themed weddings, seashell bridal bouquets are a fun way to bring the beach to you.
3. Pine Cone Bouquets - Perfect for a fall or winter wedding, a bouquet of pine cones along with some natural fiber ribbon is a beautiful and earthy choice for an environmentally aware bride. You can also use moss or twigs adorned with pretty burlap and twine for a rustic creation.
4. Vintage Button Bouquets - Have unused or old buttons lying around? A button bouquet can be created using vintage buttons and broken vintage jewelry–which would otherwise be thrown away–combined with new buttons. The most fabulous thing about button bouquets is that they will last forever. After your wedding, they can become a spectacular centerpiece in your home or even passed on to a loved one for their wedding day.
5. Fruit and Vegetable Bouquets- Fruit and vegetable bouquets are eco-friendly and perfect for a nature loving couple. Being able to pick up the products at a local grocery store or farm makes it a fast and easy process. With a large variety of fruits and vegetables the opportunities for the designs and colors of your bouquet are endless.
Photo Credit: Rooted in Love Weddings
About the author:
GBG’s CEO, Kate L. Harrison, has a JD in Environmental Law and a Master’s from Yale in Environmental Policy. She planned her own green wedding in 2007 and wrote the best selling green wedding book The Green Bride Guide: How to Plan an Earth-Friendly Wedding on Any Budget. In 2009, she founded www.greenbrideguide.com to help couples use their weddings to promote social and environmental change while supporting the local green economy.
- Invite the Guys to a Couple's Shower from The Man Registry
- Green Bride Guide: Eco-Friendly Pearls for Your Wedding!
- Newlywed Perspective: Anne's Birthday Trip
- Kerri and Andy's English Springtime Wedding by From Britain With Love
- Pretty Pastel French Macaron Favors from Chelsea at Frolic
- Alice in Wonderland Inspiration Board from Offbeat Bride
- Put a Bird On It: An Offbeat Bride Inspiration Board
- William Gives Advice on Favors, Gifts and Seating Etiquette
- A DIY Outdoor Wedding from Megan at Forget.Me.Knot.Weddings
- Anne Admires Holiday Weddings
- Anne Discusses Easy DIY Projects
- Share Your Green Wedding Values With Green Bride Guide
- DIY Project: Peony Bouquet by Chelsea from Frolic
- DIY Project: How to Make a Daisy Chain by Chelsea at Frolic!
- How to Help Plan a Wedding
- Let the Fiesta Begin … a Texas Sunset Wedding from Offbeat Bride & Lauren McGlynn
- William Fogler and How to Calculate the Right Amount of Alcohol
- Inspiration Board: Dress to Reception Décor
- Eco-Friendly Favors from The Green Bride Guide
- Gorgeous Indian Wedding from Maharani Weddings
- Handmade Rings for Him by From Britain With Love
- Green Bride Guide: Top 5 Colors for Your Fall Wedding
- Delicious Gingerbread Favors from Chelsea at Frolic!
- Erica and Holiday Moments for the Season
- Green Bride Guide: Fall Trends for Brides