How do you handle unexpected guests who show up on the wedding day?
- BrideonaBudget (Twitter follower)
Dear BrideonaBudget,Assuming your surprise guest is truly unexpected (rather than unwanted), I would apply the “Golden Rule.” Strive to greet this person as graciously as your expected guests. The most polite thing is to simply accommodate this guest kindly and without any dispute.If the scenario is one in which the seating and meal are maxed out, suggest to the newcomer that they return after the meal to enjoy the dancing portion of the evening.
Now if the guest is truly unwanted (such as a bitter jealous ex-boyfriend or delusional third cousin once removed) then your best bet is to let someone else handle the situation directly. The bride and groom should choose either the planner or caterer (or even the best man) to handle the situation. In a worst-case scenario, the facility manager or security should handle the matter.
No matter what, an unexpected guest should not ruin your day.Whether it’s wedding etiquette questions, info on the latest styles and trends, or timeless advice, our in-house wedding designer William has the answers. Have a burning question about your big day? Send it to us at: email@example.com or tweet it or Facebook us!
- Make Your Own Tulip Centerpiece from Chelsea at Frolic
- Bride’s Perspective: Erica and the Definition of Miscommunication
- Newlywed Perspective: Anne and Love Languages
- Newlywed Perspective: Anne Loves Personality Tests!
- Green Bride Guide: Delicious Favor Ideas
- Anne Helps Plan a Wedding!
- Our Newest Guest Blogger Anne on Getting Engaged and Organized
- Bride’s Perspective: Anne and the Bliss of Wedding “Debriefs” and “Detox”
- Lisa and Elissa’s Modern Wedding from Kelly at So You’re EnGAYged
- Newlywed Perspective: Anne Suffers From Husband Separation Anxiety
- Wedding Dress Embellishments for the Eco-Friendly Bride
- A Very Glam Indian Reception from Maharani Weddings
- An Austin, TX Autumn Backyard Wedding from Offbeat Bride
- William's Advice on How to Build Your Guest List
- Newlywed Perspective: All About Lessons Learned During Thanksgiving
- Anne’s DIY Project Adventure
- Eco-Friendly Wedding Dresses from Green Bride Guide
- New Free Wedding Websites from Maharani Weddings and Brooklyn Bride!
- Newlywed’s Perspective: Erica and the Big Picture
- Newlywed Perspective: Anne the Dog Sitter
- Erica and Feeling Strong Loyalties for Your Husband
- DIY Fabric Fascinators from Offbeat Bride Joanna K
- Erica Talks About How Marriage Changes Things
- Anne Gives Advice on Wedding Dress Shopping
- Green Gifts for a St. Patrick's Day Wedding