Sometimes there is just nothing prettier than a traditional Southern church wedding. Catherine and Josh were married on a cool day in Atlanta, GA (check out her absolutely adorable red cardigan) at St. Luke’s Episcopal. Alea Moore Photography was on hand to capture the beautiful ceremony and reception. Happy Thursday!
What was your vision for your wedding?
During our engagement Josh used to joke that the theme of our wedding was ‘wedding’. We wanted to make sure that our wedding reflected us and our values. The most important part of the day for us was the wedding ceremony. Josh and I met at an Episcopal seminary and Josh is a priest, so our faith has always been a very important part of our relationship. We both love the liturgy of the Episcopal church and some of the most fun I had during wedding planning was sitting with Josh deciding on the readings and music to use during the ceremony. We also wanted our wedding to be an opportunity for our friends and family to come together to support us in this important step in our relationship.
Did your wedding location hold a specific significance to you?
It was really important to both Josh and me that we get married in an Episcopal church. I grew up in Atlanta and we were blessed to be able to get married at my parent’s church in downtown Atlanta. We were also honored to have Josh’s boss and mentor (and one of the people that encouraged Josh to go to seminary), the Bishop of West Virginia, there to perform the wedding ceremony.
What was the most meaningful part of your day?
The most meaningful part of our wedding day for me took place during the wedding ceremony. We overwhelmed by the love and support that was around us as we took communion together for the first time as husband and wife and then in watching our friends and family share communion with us.
Tell us details of the events surrounding the wedding.
The days before our wedding were a whirlwind. I’m so happy we got married in my hometown, but it meant we planned most of the wedding from three states away. A couple of days before the wedding, my bridesmaids planned a spa outing, which was a wonderful opportunity to relax and catch up with my closest friends. My parents not only hosted our wedding, they also had a get together for all the out of town guests a few nights before the wedding. It got a little cramped having 20 people in their two bedroom apartment! After the rehearsal at the church, my in-laws threw us a delicious rehearsal dinner at a yummy Italian restaurant down the street. It was truly wonderful to have some many opportunities to see our friends and family, especially since so our wedding day was so busy.
How did you know your partner was “the one”?
It sounds cliché, but Josh is my best friend. If I could chose anyone in the world to spend time with, it would be him.
Any advice you’d give new brides who are just getting started?
My biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you enjoy being engaged. Spend time, just the two of you, talking about anything but the wedding.
Photographer: Alea Moore Photography
Ceremony venue: St.Luke’s Episcopal Church, Atlanta, GA
Reception venue: Houston Mill House
Dress: Something Blue from Bella Vista Bridal
Accessories: Veil, Pronovias; Cardigan, Victoria’s Secret
Bridesmaids: Alfred Sung
Groom and Groomsmen: Men’s Wearhouse
Cupcakes: Lenox Cupcakes
Flowers: Lisa Turner
DJ: Chris Watson, Lethal Rhythms
- An Artsy New Orleans Backyard Wedding from Offbeat Bride
- A Beautiful Traditional Wedding by Holli B. Photography
- Lauren and Joe's Merry Christmas Greensburg, PA Wedding by Tina Jay Photography
- Allison and Peter's Carlsbad, CA Ranch Wedding by Heidi-O-Photo
- Christina and David's Southern California Golf Course Wedding by Heidi-O-Photo
- A Perfectly Lovely Afternoon by Anna Hardy
- Real Wedding Re-Run: Kylie and Jaclyn’s San Ramon, CA Ranch Wedding by Drozian Photoworks
- Brittaney and Brad's Beautiful Lakeside Wedding by Melina Wallisch Photography
- Emily and Meeko’s DIY Wedding Photographed by Cameron Ingalls
- Tirza & Brady’s Pretty Colorado Wedding by Dawn Sparks Photography
- Liz and Scott's Elegant NY Beach Wedding by Corey Torpie Photography
- Taylor and Alec's Charming Virginia Vineyard Wedding by Jessica Fike Photography
- Christina and JC's Elegant Miami Wedding by Elaine Palladino Photography
- Lauren and Tony’s Eco-Friendly Rustic Wedding by Jenna Walker Photography
- An Epic Wedding and Beautiful Mehndi Ceremony from Offbeat Bride
- Liberty and Jason's Beautiful SoCal Real Wedding by BrittRene Photo
- Julia and Tony's Sweet Rhode Island Real Wedding by Olivia Gird Photography
- Megan and Justin's Indiana Wedding by Katherine Salvatori Photography
- Stacie and Lucas' Clearwater Beach, FL Wedding by K & K Photography
- Heidi and Brent’s Laid-back Hawaiian Wedding by Red Heart Photo
- A Little Bit Vintage, Little Bit Rock ‘n Roll Fall Wedding from Offbeat Bride
- Margaret and JR's Rustic Chic Salt Lake City, UT Wedding by Alixann Loosle Photography
- Jason and Lisa's Ocean Cliff Wedding in Newport, RI
- Chris and Debbie's Fantastic Miami, FL Wedding by K & K Photography
- Real Wedding Re-Run: Classic Winter Wonderland Real Wedding