I love starting off the week with a beautiful real wedding, especially when it is filled with helpful ideas! Liz and Mike’s fall wedding has several DIY projects, as well as some terrific inspiration for outdoor wedding decor. Read below to learn more about Liz’s planning process. Thank you to Mat and Ash Photography for sharing this pretty autumn day with us!
I’d love to hear about your wedding planning…
My husband Mike is an architect and I am an event coordinator so with his eye for design and my organizational skills we had a pretty great wedding planning team. We did the majority of the projects ourselves, and started them early: the signs, the wheatgrass centerpieces and bouquets, the Mason jars for the guests to drink out of, and all 150 paisley print cloth napkins (made by my Mom). We knew we wanted the wedding to reflect us as a couple and we felt it did. It was homemade yet classic and most importantly so much fun!
Did your wedding location hold a specific significance to you?
The location of our wedding, Sunapee, NH, is a very special place to Mike and me. I grew up spending summers on the lake and winters on the mountain (both of which were the backdrop to our ceremony). As soon as we met, Sunapee became a popular place for us to spend time. We’ve celebrated family engagements, Mike’s 30th, hiked, skied, and biked. Sunapee can now be a place to celebrate anniversaries.
Did anything funny or out of the ordinary happen?
We completely messed up our vows. We mixed up who was saying what when but we worked through it. It got our guests (and us) laughing and in the end made it true to our personalities.
Tell us details of the events surrounding the wedding as well.
As we mentioned this was a full wedding weekend. Our guests arrived Friday throughout the day, the weather was gorgeous so everyone was hanging outside, helping with set up, playing games, and we even had a few brave souls in the outdoor pool.
Without our family and friends much of this wedding would not have happened. So many of our guests helped out on Saturday with set up and decorating. This was another moment that brought two families and friends from all over the world together. It was so fun to see pictures and hear stories after of who set up what in the tent.
How did you know your partner was “the one”?
From the start Mike and I had a connection. Immediately we felt we could talk about anything together. With our mutual love for the outdoors, our first couple dates took place in the mountains. Here we could hike for hours just the two of us talking. Mike has the biggest heart. I love him for his open mind, love for family and, of course, his dance moves.
Any advice you’d give new brides who are just getting started?
Never forget what is important, the reasons you are planning this event in the first place. Right after Mike and I got engaged we made a pact. Don’t argue about wedding stuff, and if we did it was time to remember what is important. We planned ahead and we had so much fun with it all.
Photographer: Mat and Ash Photography
Venue: Dexter’s Inn, Sunapee, NH
Dress: Mikaella Bridal from Madeline’s Daughter, Portsmouth, NH
Shoes: Lucky Brand
Groom’s Attire: Tallia
Groomsmen’s Attire: Calvin Klein
Catering: A Slice of Heaven
Flowers: Cymbidium Floral, Exeter, NH
DJ: The Chris White Band
- Roxanne and George's Glam Garden Wedding by Sloan Photographers
- Wedding Nouveau Brings Us a Brazilian Carnival Wedding in Australia
- Elliot and Heather Marry in Jackson, MS
- Emily and Meeko’s DIY Wedding Photographed by Cameron Ingalls
- Megan and Justin's Indiana Wedding by Katherine Salvatori Photography
- Jennifer & Jesse’s Countrified Louisiana Wedding from Offbeat Bride
- Mission District & City Hall Wedding Inspiration Shoot from Locally Grown Weddings
- A Glamorous Great Gatsby Inspiration Shoot
- Kerri and Andy's English Springtime Wedding by From Britain With Love
- Kate and Mike's Gorgeous Golf Course Wedding by Alison Conklin Photography
- Andrea and Richard in Fort Worth, Texas
- A Stylish Fusion Wedding from Fri at Wedding Nouveau
- Rachel and Rick's Malibu, CA Wedding by Love Light Images
- Cuba and Anna's Offbeat Very Community-Oriented Wedding
- Stacie and Lucas' Clearwater Beach, FL Wedding by K & K Photography
- February's Top 5 Favorite Wedding Details
- Lovely Newport Wedding from Kathleen at Weddings Waterside
- A Gorgeous Indian Wedding from Shawna of Maharani Weddings
- Cassandra and Joshua’s Farm Wedding from forget.me.knot.weddings
- Meeko and Emily’s Hilltop Wedding in Tiburon, CA
- A Denver, CO Bright & Urban Yellow-Hued Wedding
- Lakin and Ibukun's Beautiful Ottawa Wedding by Samantha Clarke Photography
- Cori and Nate’s Rustic Devil’s Thumb Ranch Wedding from Preston Utley Photography
- Mike and Nicole’s Southern Inspired New York Real Wedding by Brookelyn Photography
- Sarah and Ted's Art Museum Real Wedding by Jessica Love Photography