We’ve been waiting with bated breath for Baz Luhrman’s The Great Gatsby, which is finally slated to land in theaters this May. Images of Carey Mulligan in the role of Daisy Buchanan have been circulating for some time—and we’re breathless over Art Deco details in her jewels and gowns.
Of course, since the vintage wedding theme is still hugely popular, there’s lots of inspiration to be taken from Mulligan’s costumes. We’ve pulled some looks from our one of our favorite bridal lines, BHLDN, to share as inspiration for brides who want to add some 20′s decadence to their bridal look.
A Few Vintage Style Tips
Mulligan’s style in the film is obviously costume and over-the-top. For your wedding day, consider vintage elements but keep the look in check! A fully beaded gown with a jeweled headband, beaded purse, and loads of bracelets might be too much for a walk down the aisle—though we do know a real bride who pulled off a perfect vintage wedding look! Whether you incorporate a small element such as delicate lace or a bold red lip, or go full out as pictured, Art Deco wedding style can be easy to master! It’s also a breeze to incorporate into a more modern wedding in small ways, like Amelia’s gorgeously waved hair and vintage-inspired lace gown.
Vintage Bridal Gowns from BHLDN
There are two ways to play the look: sweet and demure, with lots of lace, satin and flowing lines, or more of a sexy siren—beading and flapper-style ruffles with dark lips and a modern bob.
20′s Inspired Hairpieces and Accessories
Yes, you could always go with feathers…but a jeweled halo like Mulligan’s in much more refined for a bridal look. We love the two below (one is fittingly monikered Gatsby Halo), accented with either pearls or additional silver crystal jewelry and beading.
- Williams Offers Advice on Hair, Destination Weddings and Hemlines
- Great Gatsby Wedding Inspiration
- 2013 Wedding Dress Trend: Lace
- Editor's Picks: USABride
- Green Bride Guide Tells Us About Sustainable Fabrics for Wedding Dresses
- Valena’s Hollywood-Inspired 2011 Spring Collection
- Inspiration Board: Fascinator Veils
- Bride’s Perspective: Anne and the Hunt the Perfect Wedding Dress
- New BHLDN Collection Takes Our Breath Away (again)
- Perfectly Pretty Petal and Print
- Meeko and Emily’s Hilltop Wedding in Tiburon, CA
- Jason and Leena’s Stunning Pittsburgh Wedding
- Best Bridal Looks of 2012
- Salvage Life Vintage Wedding Dresses
- Matt and Rachel’s Table Rock, South Carolina Nuptials
- Green Bride Guide: Fall Trends for Brides
- Lisa and Elissa’s Modern Wedding from Kelly at So You’re EnGAYged
- Crave vs. Save: The Dress
- Oh-So-Pretty, Retro-Inspired Purses from Bagatelles&co
- Twigs & Honey Bridal Hair Adornments
- Elegantly Simple Wedding Dresses from Justina McCaffrey
- Inspiration Board: Pantone’s Honeysuckle Pink (so pretty!)
- Handmade Accessories, Gifts and Décor from EmersonMade
- Glamorous Wedding Gowns from Ugo Zaldi
- Inspiration Board: Dress to Reception Décor