Traditionally, wine is a staple at a wedding reception. Just like any other element of wedding planning, there are ways to green your wine choices and have your guests raving about it, too!
In recent years, eco-friendly organic wine production is on the rise. While many conventional grapes used for wine have been treated with pesticides and other harmful chemicals in order to generate a higher yield, organic wines do not contain the same chemicals, making them a delicious green choice for your reception.
According to Organic Vinters, an organic wine importer located in Boulder, Colorado, wine labels that boast “made with organic grapes” mean that no toxic synthetic pesticides or fertilizers have been used. Wines labeled “organic” also have no added sulfites during the wine-making process. Check out Organic Vintners for more information on eco-friendly wines, or look into local organic vintners to start researching your options.
Love DIY projects? Consider making your own wine like Cary and James, an eco-conscious couple featured in a Real Green Wedding story called Farm Friendly Romance . They served their own homemade wine with dinner at their reception, and purchased other local wines from Sharpe Hill Vineyard
Another Real Green Wedding couple, Jackie and Pete, chose to make their own special brew for their Home Brewed Wedding Celebration. The bride and groom made eighty bottles of what they dubbed Three Generations Mead, a carbonated honey wine. They crafted the labels themselves as well, printing the wedding years of the bride’s parents and grandparents, along with their own.
Real wine enthusiasts may want to consider a local vineyard as a wedding venue. Not only can a vineyard provide a beautiful natural backdrop for your ceremony and reception, but having a vineyard wedding can also inspire you to incorporate wine-related earth-friendly details such as wine-cork place card holders and bottles of organic wine as favors. Edible – or, in this case, drinkable – favors, like wine, are sure to delight your guests and avoid the fate of so many kitschy wedding favors: the trash can.
True wine lovers may even consider gifting their bridal party members with related items. Any groomsman would love these great Pool Ball Wine Stoppers, and a Rustic Rose Wine Stopper is the perfect choice for an oenophile bridesmaid. Both are made of upcycled materials, resulting in unique green gifts.
Whether its vineyard venues, favors and gifts, or reception beverages, focusing on wine as a theme can add an elegant and earth-friendly style to your green wedding.
Kate runs one of the most comprehensive guides to planning a Green wedding out there. Her site is chock-full of great tips on how to create an eco-friendly wedding, whether you’re just looking to go paper-free or taking it all the way with a carbon-free day.
- The Satisfaction of DIY Details
- Eco-Friendly Wedding Dresses from Green Bride Guide
- Green Bride Guide: Eco-Friendly Proposal Ideas
- Vintage-Inspired Spring Minnesota Wedding from Offbeat Bride
- Green Your Flowers by Green Bride Guide
- Wedding Etiquette: William Offers Advice on Destination Weddings
- Foodie Favors: Whimsy & Spice
- Lisa and Elissa’s Modern Wedding from Kelly at So You’re EnGAYged
- Erica Talks In-Laws and How Being a Sister-in-Law Changes Things
- Newlywed Perspective: Anne’s Search for Ugly Christmas Sweaters
- Erica Takes on Cooking for Her Family
- Newlywed Perspective: Anne's Monday Night Addiction
- Newlywed Perpsective: Married Decisions
- Newlywed Perspective: First Year Anniversary Gifts
- Green Bride Guide: Eco-Friendly Wedding Dress Advice
- Newlywed Perspective: Anne Tackles Her Thank You Notes
- Menu Suggestions for a Backyard Wedding
- Handmade Rings for Him by From Britain With Love
- Farm to Table Centerpieces by Chelsea from Frolic
- Gingham Wrapped Favors from Chelsea at Frolic
- Offbeat Bride DIY Project: Scrabble Tile Keychain Wedding Favors
- Ruined Wedding Plans That Rocked, Part 1 by Offbeat Bride
- Plan a Green Destination Wedding with Green Bride Guide
- Newlywed Perspective: Anne and Love Languages
- Beautiful Chair Covers courtesy of Maharani Weddings