Grace Lutheran Church is blessed with a beautiful sanctuary that has been the setting for countless wedding ceremonies throughout the years. Our beautiful sanctuary seats up to 600 guests, and we are conveniently located near a number of downtown hotels, attractions, and reception venues.
For smaller ceremnies, our chapel will seat up to 80 guests comfortably.
Fetter Hall is our large fellowship hall and it includes a full kitchen and will serve as an excellent reception space for your wedding and can seat up to 200 guests.
Parking is free for your event, and wedding staff are available to assist you from the planning through the actual ceremony.
Please contact us for more information or to schedule a tour.
In October 1903, Grace English Evangelical Lutheran Church was formed by a group of 23 Lutherans who wanted to conduct their worship services in English instead of German.
Services were held in the afternoon at St John’s Lutheran Church for a short time. Then, First Presbyterian offered their facilities for Sunday evening services until a permanent place of worship could be established. An interesting sidenote is that 84 years later, in 1987-88, Grace had the opportunity to return the favor when Grace provided space for First Presbyterian Sunday School classes during their building expansion program.
By 1911, the congregation became self supporting and that same year Grace helped form a mission congregation that became Trinity Lutheran in Harlandale. Grace has assisted in the formation of many mission congregations throughout the years.
In 1913, the church founded Grace Lutheran Sanitarium, later to become Lutheran General Hospital, for the treatment of Tuberculosis patients. Literally, thousands of people were served over the seventy-five years it existed. This site in west San Antonio is now the home of the Diabetes Institute of Texas.
In the early 1920’s Grace began planning to build a new sanctuary and in 1929 the new facility was completed. The beautiful sanctuary remains in use to this day and even though the dedication of the new building coincided with the beginning of the “Great Depression”, the debt was paid off ahead of schedule.
During both the First and Second World Wars, Grace joined with other Lutheran bodies to create a place of hospitality for our servicemen stationed in the San Antonio area. IN the First World War it was named the “Lutheran Brotherhood Soldiers and Sailors Club” and in the Second World War it was the “Lutheran Service Center”.
In 1943, Grace young people were involved for the first time in hosting an International Luther League convention that was held in San Antonio. Our Luther Leaguers and many other members were also active participants in the Lutheran Youth Gatherings that were held in San Antonio in 1982 and 1988 and most recently, 2006.
In 1947, a Cancer Sewing Group was formed and continued to function until 1991 making tens of thousands of bandages for cancer patients. In 2002, a comparable effort was begun as a quilting group was formed to make quilts for Lutheran World Relief.
By 1956, plans had begun to build a new Fellowship Hall/Educational Building. The new building was dedicated in September 1961. The old church building that had been used as a Parish House was demolished that same year; however, the stained glass windows were preserved and used in the Chapel in the new building.
The Fun-For-Fours program, which became Grace Ninos, was begun in 1973. Is has continued uninterrupted and been extremely beneficial for children in our neighborhood and is entirely funded by the congregation.
In 1968, the church began the Grace Assistance Program, or GAP that eventually merged with other downtown churches to form Christian Assistance Ministry (CAM) in 1977. Grace provides volunteers and financial support, but more importantly, Grace has provided office and warehouse space to CAM since its inception. More than 40,000 people are helped each year by this organization that is now comprised of 62 church in the San Antonio area.
It was also in 1977 that Grace joined with St John’s Lutheran Church to form Christian Senior Services. CSS provides more than 600,000 meals to homebound each year through the Meals on Wheels program as well as a Senior Home Companion program and early Alzheimer’s day care, Grace Place. Grace is still intimately involved with all aspects of CSS and provides space for Grace Place.
In 1979, Grace began sponsoring refugee families from Indo-China. This program continued for several years and some sponsors still hear from the families helped.
In 1983, Grace joined with other downtown churches to develop a homeless shelter at facilities provided by First Presbyterian Church. The program eventually grew to become San Antonio Metropolitan Ministries (SAMM) which provides a wide variety of support to the homeless of San Antonio.
Throughout the 1980’s and 1990’s and continuing to date, Grace continues its active support of a wide variety of benevolent activities. In addition to the support provided to the Synod, CAM, CSS, SAMM and Grace Ninos, there has been a widespread support to many other activities including, but not limited to, such diverse organizations as Texas Lutheran University, Cross Trails Camping Ministry, Ethiopian Missions, Bexar County Detention Ministries, Oak Indian Mission in Oklahoma, Lutheran World Relief and Lutheran Social Services.
Grace has been a member of the San Antonio Community of Churches since its incception in 1943. In 1998, they honored Grace with an award for Community Service.
Grace continued its support to benevolent activities even though there had been a general decline in membership as members moved to the suburbs and joined many of the churches that Grace helped start. In recent years, however, there has been rejuvenation with an increase of young members and many new babies. Grace has been blessed with many faithful, supportive members that make it possible to continue to work toward the never ending vision of growing as a “…light shining throughout the community reflecting the love of Jesus Christ”.