Luxury Beach & Bush Safaris
Events at Mara Explorer Camp
Less than an hour’s flight from Kenya’s capital city, Nairobi, you’ll land in the enormous 1,510-square-kilometer Maasai Mara National Reserve home to Africa’s Big 5 – the elephant, buffalo, lion, leopard and rhino – and within five minutes you’ll find yourself in the beautiful Mara Intrepids Camp.
Mara Explorer Camp is an award winning year-round camp, wedding and honeymoon destination complete with ultra-modern bespoke tented luxury with every modern facility. Set on the banks of the Talek River along a riverine forest, its picturesque setting lends itself to memorable occasions like weddings and honeymoons. Voted in the Conde Nast Travelers’ Gold List amongst the best in the world and Virgin Holidays’ Gold Award for Best Hotel in Africa 2011, it’s eco-rated Silver by Eco-Tourism Kenya.
The vast wildlife reserve is set in Maasai land, once a noble warrior race owning large herds of cattle. Living in co-existence with the wildlife the best wildlife havens are found on their ancestral land. The Camp works closely with the local Maasai communities around the reserve, supporting many local projects.
Camp facilities include thirty luxurious recently renovated tents with private decks, family suites with a lounge including dining in private, four-poster king size beds or singles, main restaurant in an indigenous forest both for in-dining and al-fresco, bush breakfasts and bush dinners under the stars, a fully stocked bar by the banks of the river, a conference hall, a massage room for a wide selection of massages from aromatherapies to deep tissue massage. A suspended bridge over the Talek River gives beautiful opportunities for photography with occasional sighting of the local wildlife such as crocodiles and hippos. A high watchtower is the perfect place for the vast panoramas of the Mara. The camp features a beautiful gift shop with merchandise sourced from the local Maasai community groups and designer afro-chic. A unique feature at every Heritage property is the Adventurer’s Club for the pre-teens and the Ranger’s Club for the real teens where the local naturalists will take over your young charges and guide them through this natural heritage of the wild world.
Dining in the wild adds its own flavor. The menu is bespoke – ranging from meat to vegetarian including dietary specialties. The vegetables are organically grown in the camp yard while the meat and fish is sourced from the best suppliers adhering to eco-standards of sustainability. The three main meals are served in the dining area. Early morning tea and coffee can be ordered to your tent before embarking on the dawn game drive – or you may brew yourself a cuppa in the tent which is fitted with a kettle and the beverages. Breakfast is a huge continental affair. Lunches are exquisite buffets under the ‘barn’ or the canopy of the forest, while dinners are formal sit-down affairs.
The bush dinners are lauded as the most romantic while breakfast by the river or on the plains is amazing within sight of the animals. Enjoy your sundowners in selected areas in the savannah, drinking a toast to the wild as the sun sets. Outdoor recreation enthusiasts will enjoy the nature walks including bird watching in the company of the naturalist and dawn balloon safaris. Entertainment includes Maasai dances and talks in the afternoon and evening including a film show on the natural vistas.
Mara Explorer is eco-rated Silver by Eco-Tourism Kenya. The vast 1,510-square-kilometer wildlife reserve is set in Maasai land, once a noble warrior race with large herds of cattle. Living in co-existence with the wildlife, the best wildlife havens are found on their ancestral land. The Camp works closely with the local Maasai communities around the reserve, supporting many local projects.
- Game drives in customized safari cruisers with KPSGA-certified guides
- Mara River for its hippos
- To the plains in search of the wildlife including tracking the known ‘big cat’ families
- The Kenya-Tanzania international boundary cutting through the Mara-Serengeti
- The balloon safari
World class service
- Riverfront dining area and luxurious lounge
- Private bar with well-stocked guests’ library
- Large secluded verandas with chaise longues
- Custom-built four-wheel-drive safari vehicles
- Personal radio communications in each tent
- Board games, playing cards and other pastimes
- All-weather airstrip 2km from camp
- Reliable 240-volt electrical supply
- Swimming pool at our sister camp
Ten luxury canvas tents all en suite with spacious shower and toilets, changing area, out-door claw’s foot bath tubs, reading table and spacious beds. Private river-facing deck at each tent, with lounge chairs for relaxing by the river. Hot water all day, body massage available in room or massage room. Beautiful décor to reflect the surroundings.
Our offerings are as varied as they are bespoke. Our experienced staff will work with you to the last minute detail! Prices vary with the destination, setting and any special requirements outside the normal packages.
Mara Explorer offers a range of massages.
Up to three game drives a day each between three hours, balloon safaris, nature walks, bird watching, visit to the Maasai homesteads and community projects, star gazing.
Light entertainment, local Maasai dances.
Complimentary juice on arrival; personalized service; Sundowners, bush breakfast and bush dinner; full day game drive with picnic lunch.
Open all year round.
From June to Sept - famous annual migration of more than a million wildebeest tracking in from the Serengeti.
You have been planning for your nuptials and you want something different. We have an on-site wedding coordinator to help you choose where and how you want the wedding. We can also help you arrange a local ‘Maasai’ style wedding, a ‘bush’ or any other themed wedding. We assist in decorated venue selected by the couple, Sparkling wine toast with the ceremony, all registrars’ fees and the registrar himself to perform the ceremony, the marriage license and certificate and best man/witness (if required).
The lush grounds around the camp are ideal for nature walks and bird watching.
Our offerings are as varied as they are bespoke. Our experienced staff will work with you to the last minute detail! Prices vary with the destination, setting and any special requirements outside the normal packages. The packages include:
- Decorated venue selected by the couple
- Sparkling wine toast with the ceremony
- All registrars’ fees and the registrar himself to perform the ceremony, the marriage license and certificate
Best man/witness (if required)
- Private game drives with experienced personal guides
- Walking safaris in the Mara Conservation Area
- Bush breakfasts and dinners under the stars
- Romantic sundowners in spectacular selected sites
- Visits to Maasai communities supported by the camp
- Transfers for early-morning hot air balloon rides
- Astronomy with resident naturalist with cultural interpretations
- Lectures and slide shows on Maasai culture and wildlife
- Catering for private parties and special occasions
- Complimentary Honeymoon night with Destination Wedding Booking
- N/A (outdoors)
- Local Maasai dance troupes
- Ala carte restaurant
- Offered by our Head Chef and his team, available for large receptions or small, intimate family gatherings.
- By arrangement
- Personal butler on 24-hour call
- Mineral water and insect repellent in tents
- Telephone, e-mail, fax and postal services
- Foreign currency exchange at Reception
- Single-day laundry and valet services
- Early morning calls with tea or coffee served with cookies
- Complimentary airstrip transfers
- Wet towels and drinks on check-in
- Resident doctor available 24 hours
Flex body therapy for half or one hour
This luxurious tented camp lies at the confluence of the Masai Mara’s four main game-viewing areas, and enjoys prime views of the spectacular wildebeest migration between July and September. During the remainder of the year, herds of watering elephant, giraffe and other animals can often be seen from your private veranda. Mara Explorer’s own all-weather airstrip means you can be in camp less than an hour after leaving the bustle of the capital, Nairobi or the coastal resorts of Mombasa.
Africa’s Big 51,510-square-kilometer Maasai Mara National Reserve home to Africa’s Big 5 – the elephant, buffalo, lion, leopard and rhino.
Award-WinningMara Intrepids Camp is an award winning year-round camp, wedding and honeymoon destination complete with ultra-modern bespoke tented luxury with every modern facility.
Luxury AwaitsCamp facilities include thirty luxurious recently renovated tents with private decks, family suites with a lounge including dining in private, and more!
RomanceThe bush dinners are lauded as the most romantic while breakfast by the river or on the plains is amazing within sight of the animals.
Eco-RatedThe camp has been eco-rated Silver by the Eco-tourism Society of Kenya.
ActivitiesUp to three game drives a day each between three hours, balloon safaris, nature walks, bird watching, visit to the Maasai homesteads and community projects, star gazing.
|On-site Catering: Yes||Outside Catering: No|
|Wedding Planner: Yes||Indoor Ceremony Available: No|
|Outdoor Ceremony Available: Yes||Bridal Suite Available: Yes|