1 cup dry garbanzo beans
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 cloves minced garlic
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, or more as needed
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
oil for frying
- Place garbanzo beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 12 to 24 hours. Drain.
- Blend garbanzo beans, onion, parsley, garlic, flour, lemon juice, salt, cumin, coriander, baking soda, and cayenne pepper together in a food processor, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary, until mixture is finely ground and holds together when pressed. Transfer garbanzo mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until flavors blend, 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Divide dough into 12 portions and roll each with moistened hands into a ball.
- Working in batches, cook falafel balls in hot oil until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to drain.