Wedding Planning

Changing Your Name the Easy Way: Going From Miss to Mrs.

Changing Your Name the Easy Way: Going From Miss to Mrs.

Name change after marriage is big decision.  Will you take your spouse’s last name, hyphenate, take two last names without a hyphen, take your maiden name as your middle name, use your name professionally and his/hers socially or simply keep your maiden name?  The possibilities are overwhelming and the emotions around the concept of name change can be highly charged.



If you do decide to change your name (and 88.6% of you do), there is a stack of government name change forms waiting for you to complete and file in a state-specific order.  Follow these simple steps to make your transition from Miss to Mrs. a smooth one (hint: save countless hours with a name change service):



Purchase 2 to 3 Certified Copies of Your Marriage Certificate.  You will need to use them as legal proof of your marriage.




Obtain a Social Security Card with Your New Married Name.  You will need to complete the SS-5 application and submit it with proof of identity and proof of legal name change.




Update your Driver’s License or ID from your State Motor Vehicle/Transportation Office.  Each state has a legal process for name change on a driver’s license or ID card.  Make sure to bring your current license/ID, proof of legal name change, and proof of residence if you have moved.  It is also a good idea to be prepared for a new photo to be taken.




Notify the IRS of Your Name Change.  You will need to complete the 8822 form to notify the IRS.  This ensures that when you file your taxes under your new name or jointly with your spouse, the IRS will not hold your tax returns while they investigate who you are (it can happen).




Update Your U.S. Passport.  You will need to fill out the appropriate application for a name change on your passport and have new photos taken.  The fee will depend on how long you have had your current passport and if you choose to expedite the processing.




Notify the Post Office.  If you have moved due to your recent marriage make sure to notify the United States Postal Office of your new residence by filling out a brief form.




Change Your Personal Paperwork.  This includes notifying your banks, credit cards, mortgage providers, utilities, medical providers, insurance companies, professional license boards, investment companies, gyms and affiliations of your new name.




Use Your New Married Name.  Introduce yourself with your new name, change your name on your voicemail and facebook account, and then start signing your new name on emails and letters.




Change Your Name the Easy Way!  Use the  easy online name-change service to complete all of your state and U.S. government forms, as well as your notification letters for creditors in three simple steps: Questions, Forms, File.